Pokhara is the most beautiful city of Nepal. It is often said the Switzerland of Nepal. If you have been to Nepal, and didn't get a chance to visit Pokhara then you missed to witness one of the most valuable gems of Nepal.
Pokhara is the largest city in Nepal after Kathmandu and Biratnagar which is located at 28.25N, 83.9E.
Distance from Kathmandu = 198 km (west of kathmandu). Pokhara is at an altitude of 827m from the sea level.
Pokhara offers a combination of nature and culture and is mostly known as the gateway to the trekking route "Round Annapurna" which is usually a trek of 25 days.
The beautiful city with a population of around 200,000 has several beautiful lakes, mysterious caves and offers panoramic views of mountains.
Pokhara represents a last chance to stock up on creative comforts before hitting the mountain trails.
Pokhara offers the adventure activities such as trekking, mountain flights, paragliding, boating, fishing, swimming etc.
How to Reach Pokhara ?
Pokhara is 5-6 hours drive from Kathmandu city. The total distance is 198 km. There are several public buses, highway micro buses and tourist coaches available. In Kathmandu, the tourist coaches and the highway buses going to Pokhara depart from New BusPark, Gongabu, Kathmandu. If you prefer the fast vehicles such as micro buses then you can find them lined up in Kalanki.
Pokhara is just half an hour away from Kathmandu if you choose to fly. During your flight view Himalayas including the Annapurna range which lies right next to flight path. So sit back, turn your head to the right, and enjoy the flight. See in you Pokhara.
I know, I know. You are now restless to know what are the worth visiting places in Pokhara.
1) A boating experience in the serenity of Phewa lake which is added with the breathtaking view of Macchapuchre (Fishtail) mountain is the first thing not to be missed in Pokhara.
2) Sunrise view from Sarankot hill is another most interesting event you would want to participate.
3) World Peace Stupa (Bishwa Shanti Stupa): World peace Stupa is the Stupa of Lord Buddha above the Phewa Lake.
4) Caves in Pokhara worth visiting:
a) Mahendra Gupha (cave)
b) Gupteshwor Gupha (cave)
c) Chameri Gupha (cave)
Mahendra Gupha and Chameri Gupha are near to one another you wouldn't want to miss any of those mysterious cave which would add new dimension to your journey.
5) Lakes in Pokhara:
a) Phewa Lake
b) Begnas Lake
c) Rupa Lake
There are the three famous and most accessible lakes in Pokhara. The boating experience molded with the best dining on these areas would make your travel awesome.
6) David's Fall (also pronounced as Devi's Fall / In Nepali Patale chago)
7) Bindhyabasini Temple : Bindhyabasini temple is the center of religious activity in the old bazaar. It is dedicated to goddess Bhagwati, yet another manifestation of shakti. [...more]
8) Barahi Temple: Barahi Temple is the most religious temple in Pokhara. It is more special because it is built in the middle of Phewa lake. The two storied pagoda is deidicated to the boar manifestation of Ajima, the Goddess represting female force shakti. [...more]
9) Paragliding in Pokhara: Paragliding is the greatest adventure which is appreciated in Pokhara.
10) Mountain Flight : Mountain Flight is the another experience you shouldn't miss in pokhara. There are several mountain flights offered. The most frequently experience mountain flight is the flight to Jomsom from Pokhara. During this flight, you can see the beautiful view of Pokhara valley, lakes and the magnificient mountains and when the aircraft enters the gorge of the Kaligandaki, its really thrilling. The experience of this kind certainly gives you a feeling of a roller coaster ride.
There are abundant number of lakes and rivers in Pokhara. The serenity of the Lakes and the magnificient view of the mountains rising them creates a peaceful and magical environment. Lakes have played a vital role in the tourism of Pokhara city. The rivers and Lakes found in Pokhara are as follows:
1) Phewa Lake
2) Begnas Lake
3) Rupa Lake
4) Seti River
5) Gandaki River
6) Gude Lake
7) Neurani Lake
8) Deepang Lake
9) Maidy Lake
10) Khastey Lake
11) Bijaypur River
Among these Lakes, Phewa Lake, Begnas Lake and Rupa Lake are the most popular tourist destinations.
Looking for Annapurna trekking map ?
Here ! Go grab it.